By Dr. Jan Ferri-Reed
Team building and Development are excellent ways to advance a culture of engagement and teamwork. You’ll be sure to find inspiration that fits your organizations mission and vision. Did you know that:
- 54% of team leaders spend up to 30% of their day in a team setting
- 34 percent spend as much as 50% of their time working in a team setting.
- 42% of team leaders rarely if ever, receive any training to get their teams off to the right start.
The following are 10 unique team building activities to boost engagement:
- GIVE BACK: One of the most popular team building activities is to have the teams find a charity or a service project and work on it together. And…It is also a way to get some great PR for your company.
- COOK UP A STORM: Teams love to create things together and that includes what they can do in the kitchen. Have a Cook-Off on a Friday afternoon and split the teams into groups. Common cook-off themes can be ethnic like Mexican or Asian cuisine, or a dessert bake off is always a welcomed way to break bread together.
- GO OUTSIDE: Find ways for teams to get away from their cubicles – Even if it means brainstorming a project at a picnic table outside. A change in environment can spark creativity and build relationships.
- TAKE A STAYCATION – Even if it is for a day, do something fun. Take the team bowling, hiking, or even a ropes course. Tackle an activity that may be new to the team – this will also help bond the team and promote encouragement amongst one another.
- VIRTUAL TEAM BUILDING – A cool way to include those employees who have a flex schedule or work virtually – play virtual charades. This will help to position your organization as a fun place to work. Charades can include work related terminology to keep it focused.
- BASE IT ON A HIT TELEVISION SHOW – More and more organizations are team building by mimicking the fun found in reality show challenges. Create the rules and execution as a team so everyone participates in the development of the activity.
- GET CREATIVE – Have a monthly book club where the team reads a book that can help with your business. Better yet, make it a lunch and learn, and bring food in that may be part of the theme of the book.
- KEEP IT PROFESSIONAL – Always ask the team what type of professional development would be most beneficial to them and the growth of the team. That way, the team can learn valuable habits while developing their relationship with each other.
- UTILIZE FUN TECHNOLOGY – With all of the APPS out there, you can challenge the team with games and tournaments. Keep the team playing together and then working together becomes more cohesive.
- GO TO A PROFESSIONAL – Use a professional team building like KEYGroup to organize fun activities and facilitate effective teamwork.
Team building can be so much more than simply getting employees to work well together. It will promote camaraderie, engagement, and help promote.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dr. Jan Ferri-Reed, is President of KEYGroup and provides businesses with insightful information to create engaged, productive and profitable multi-generational organizations. She is the co-author of the best-selling book, “Keeping the Millennials: Why Companies Are Losing Billions in Turnover to This Generation and What to Do About It.” To hire Jan, visit: www.KEYGroupConsulting.com or call 724-942-7900.
This article may be reprinted for your use in an organizational newsletter and or e-zine provided that you contact Kelly Hanna, Director of Sales and Marketing at 724-942-7900 to gain permission.