By Jan Ferri-Reed
In today’s business world, being self-motivated is critical for anyone to become successful. But, doing a great job and waiting for recognition won’t work. You must also market yourself and let key people know about your skills. Career development is in your hands. Your manager is there to support you, but you are the creator of your career mobility. Here are 10 tips for standing out and moving forward.
- Discover your expertise. Try new tasks that may not be of interest at first. You will create expertise through greater knowledge and experience.
- Strive to be the best. Invest in your own development. If you don’t believe in yourself, nobody else will either. Do this without being full of yourself.
- Take charge of the situation. Think about the “big picture”, not just the here and now. Try to get involved in the organization in as many ways as possible. A leader is a person who leads, guides, or takes charge.
- Look and act the part. Recognition takes time and practice. Model behavior of those you admire: dress more professionally, sharpen your language skills, etc.
- Engage others and contribute to the organization. Collaborative management skills are essential. Managers want people who are innovative and full of excitement that can add fresh ideas to the organization.
- Take responsibility for all of your work. Speak up and acknowledge your strengths and weaknesses; don’t just blend into the woodwork. Learn from mistakes. Apply the learning to new opportunities and challenges. Admitting to your faults shows that you are willing to learn and grow from them.
- Share minute details. Recognize all efforts– Part of being a star is the ability to recognize your supporting cast. Mention the accomplishments you are proud of.
- Celebrate the successes of others. Show appreciation for other’s accomplishments, organize celebratory get-togethers, etc.
- Be visible. Get involved in community services and events. Get to know as many people possible to build your network. People will soon recognize the true person inside.
- Re-imagine the possibilities. Take time to learn how to market yourself for your current or future career. Think outside the box!
Business success grows from dedication and incomparable excellence and/or service. Marketing your key advantage shows people who you are and what you are capable of becoming. Share your vision for yourself with others and let them be captivated by your motivation and drive.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dr. Jan Ferri-Reed, is President of KEYGroup and provides businesses with insightful information to create engaged, productive and profitable multi-generational organizations. She is the co-author of the best-selling book, “Keeping the Millennials: Why Companies Are Losing Billions in Turnover to This Generation and What to Do About It.” To hire Jan, visit: www.KEYGroupConsulting.com or call 724-942-7900.
This article may be reprinted for your use in an organizational newsletter and or e-zine provided that you contact Kelly Hanna, Director of Sales and Marketing at 724-942-7900 to gain permission.